Home > 12 > 04

Title: 12 - Roads, Parks and Waterways

Chapter: 04 - Urban and Rural Public Road Standards

Section: 3 - Definitions

The definitions given in this section shall be used in the interpre­tation of this chapter, unless another meaning is apparent from the context.

"Arterial road" means a road in any land use area which serves as part of the principal system for through traffic flow by connecting areas of traffic generation and providing for the distribution and collection of through traffic to and from state highway, collector, and local road systems. It also may serve abutting property. Arterial roads are listed in the most current adopted circulation element of the general plan.

"Collector road" means a road in any land use area which, be­cause of its location with reference to other roads or other sources of traffic, carries or will carry, traffic from local roads to the system of arterial roads or highways. Collector road may include the princi­pal entrance roads of residential developments, roads for circulation of traffic within such developments, or provide access to abutting commercial, industrial or multifamily areas.

"Cul-de-sac road" means a short road generating less than two hundred ADT (average daily traffic,) serving single-family residential units, and are closed at one end with a turnaround area. These roads are minimum traffic generators and are residential in nature. Roads which serve commercial, industrial or multifamily areas, shall be classified as other than a cul-de-sac (i.e. arterial, collector, local) but shall include turnaround area as if it were a cul-de-sac road.

"Design review fees and construction inspection fees" shall be as prescribed in the current fee schedule adopted by the board of supervisors for engineering services.

"Development," for the purposes of this section, means an appli­cation for subdivision of property, use permit, grading or encroach­ment permits for roads, or an application for a building permit, whichever comes first.

"Highway" means a state-owned and maintained road such as Highways 101, 199, 169, and 167. Such state highways are subject to the jurisdiction of the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans).

"Local road" means a road which, because of its location with reference to other roads, or other sources of traffic, carries or will carry traffic from areas of low traffic generation to collector or arterial roads. Local roads primarily serve as access to adjacent residential land.

"Parking lane" means a lane, parallel to a traffic lane, which provides an area for on-street parking. The minimum width of a parking lane shall be eight feet for a cul-de-sac road and a local road. The minimum width of a parking lane shall be ten feet for collector and arterial roads. Where curb and gutter sections are used, the gutter pan may be included as a part of the minimum width of the parking lane.

"Road" means an open way or public passage primarily for vehi­cles where passage by persons or animals may also be permitted. Roads, streets, drives, boulevards, etc., are to be used interchange­ably within the meaning and purpose of this chapter.

"Rural area" means an area of the unincorporated county located outside of the urban boundary designated in the county\'s general plan and/or by policy of the board of supervisors.

"Single-family dwelling (SFD) infill" means the construction or placement of one single-family dwelling (SFD) on an existing single family zoned lot or parcel on an existing county-maintained road where all of the following apply:

1.The applicant or property owner shall own no other unimproved contiguous parcels or no other unimproved parcels with the same block frontage as the pending permit loca­tion and

2. The project is not subject to CEQA.

"Traffic lane" means that portion of a traveled way for the move­ment of a single line of vehicles. The minimum width of a traffic lane for a cul-de-sac road shall be. ten feet for all other roads the minimum width of a traffic lane shall be twelve feet.

"Traveled way" means that portion of the road for the movement of vehicles, exclusive of shoulders.

"Turnaround" is the closed end, containing a turning area, of a local road, cul-de-sac, or collector road. The desired turning area should be circular and have a radius as determined in Section 12.04.070. In rural areas, an alternate variation of the shape of the turnaround may be other than circular when physical terrain prevents construction of a circular turnaround. Such determination is to be made by the county engineer.

"Urban area" means an unincorporated area within the urban boundary established by the county\'s general plan land use element and/or by policy of the board of supervisors as the urban area.

"Urban transition area" means an urban area which is designated for urban or suburban land use development but not yet zoned for urban development. (These areas are generally residential in nature and are awaiting community water and/or sewer at which time rural density zoning may change to urban/suburban zoning pursuant to the general plan.)

   "Vehicle" means a device by which any person or property may be propelled, moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.


(Ord. 97-17 (part), 1997.)