The following words and phrases, whenever used in this chapter, shall be construed as defined in this section:
"Arrested person" means any person arrested by an employee of a city, special district, school district, community college district, college, or university, for probable cause or in obedience to an original warrant. Bookings for out-of-county warrants, remands, bail bond surrenders, enroute bookings, and commitments are not subject to the fees set out in this chapter.
"Book and detain" means the process whereby a subject is brought to the county jail by the arresting agency charged with a felony, misdemeanor or warrant which crime requires a bail or other type of release through court order thereby requiring housing of the subject at the county jail.
"Book and release" means the process whereby a subject is brought to the county jail by the arresting agency charged with a crime which requires release rather than confinement.
"Booking and processing" for purposes of the booking and processing fee means all activities necessary or appropriate for the reception and detention of arrested persons at county detention facilities, from the time the arrested person is initially presented to facility staff until the person is either released or assigned to permanent housing within the facility. In general terms such activities include, but are not limited to, initial reception, fingerprinting, photography, criminal record screening, early release screening, classification, medical screening, data entry, personal property accounting, security, and release processing.
"Booking and processing" for purposes of the criminal justice administration fee means:
1. Processing, including searching, wrist banding, bathing, clothing, photographing, fingerprinting, mental screening, medical screening, and document retrieving
2. Booking, including computer booking and property inventory
3. Document control, including updating of booking documents, court scheduling, filing, and release processing
4. Warrant and detainee, including warrant service and imperative release
5. Cashier, including creation of accounts, inventory of money, and release of money
6. Property and laundry, including inventory, storing, and release of property, laundering, and storing clothing
7. Classification, including interviewing and classifying persons
8. Processing of persons for court appearances
9. Unit management and supervision of activities designated in paragraphs 1 to 8, inclusive of this definition.
"Booking of intoxicated persons" means the process whereby a subject is brought to the county jail by the arresting agency for public intoxication, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or any person intoxicated to the point that they are not able to care for themselves or for the safety of others.
"City" means any incorporated city within the political boundaries of the county.
"Special district, school district, community college district, college, or university" means any such district, which operates within the political boundaries of the county.
(Ord. 93-16 § 2 (part), 1993.)